Wednesday 26 August 2015

Birding at work, birding after work

A visit for work to look at the restoration  at Newington Quarry allowed me to bag a Whinchat for my Notts yearlist (taking me to 170), which was occupying a big patch of thistles at the eastern end of Newington North, whilst a Hobby bombed through, and a Common Sand was the only wader present. Nearby, Hagg Lane Flash held 14 Ruff, another Common Sand, and the Ruddy Shelduck (of more than dubious origin), whilst there was a roving party of around 20 juv Yellow Wags along the Idle.

Ruddy Shelduck

Having done with work, I came home via Kilvington Lakes to see the Little Stint that had been reported there at 3pm. I met Bob Beck, and together we scoured the site for it, with no luck, but according to the sightings board there had also been 4 Ringed Plovers present, of which there was no sign, although one of the two Dunlin and both Greenshank were still present, along with six Common SandsAfter supper, I had a quick look at the patch, where a juvenile islandica Black-wit was on Mons Pool and a Wheatear was in the field to the west, but there wasn't much else of more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment