Monday 31 August 2015

A soggy bank holiday

A good thrash round the patch was the order of the day today, and I spent around 6 hours at Collingham and Besthorpe in far from ideal conditions - my bins still haven't dried out. The only wader at Collingham was a Common Sand on Ferry Lane Lake, but a check of Mons Pool produced an eclipse drake Pintail, my first of the year on the patch, and my 134th species of the year here - now just one of last year's total. 

I then spent a good hour and a half working Northcroft Lane. I hit a little hotspot of activity, with plenty of warblers flitting about, including 2 Lesser Whitethroats and a Garden Warbler. What I was really after was a Redstart, but I couldn't find one, instead making do with my second patch Spotted Flycatcher of the year.

Water levels at Meering were low, and the muddy fringes held 4 Greenshank and a Green Sand, and at least one Reed Warbler and 3 Sedge Warblers were still in the reedy fringes, but again there were no Redstarts in the scrub.

No comments:

Post a Comment