Wednesday 14 May 2014

Another Sherwood Redstart survey

Yesterday I hauled myself out of bed at 5am for my second Redstart survey of the year in Sherwood Forest NNR (the Visitor Centre site). I spend four blissful hours criss-crossing the site, seeing only two other people. On the western side I stood with my eyes closed and the sun on my face, and all I could hear was the wind in the trees, a singing Redstart above me, a distant Cuckoo, and other woodland birds announcing themselves. 




Earlier I'd come across the Longhorns grazing quietly, and could easily imagine that they were aurochs or wisent. I never cease to be inspired by this place; thank goodness it survived.




I logged a total of 11 singing male Redstarts, three more than last visit, and including two on the western side of the site, but once again none along Redstart Alley... And this time, I saw a female - just the one! Presumbaly the others are all sat tight on eggs. Other things around the site were my first Spotted Flycatchers of the year, a pair prospecting a nest site; at least 9 singing Tree Pipits; 3 or even 4 Cuckoos; and a supporting cast of Siskins, Garden Warblers, Bullfinches and Mistle Thrushes. 




After a restorative All Day Breakfast at the Round Table, the remainder of the day was spent pulling Himalayan Balsam on the north side of the visitor centre, coming across a couple of Common Lizards in the process. 



No comments:

Post a Comment