Saturday 3 May 2014

A turtle is back

I did a partial survey of Collingham Pits this morning (partial in terms of coverage of the site, and the species I recorded). Best were my first Turtle Dove of the year at the Works Pits, where my first patch Garden Warbler of the year was also present; both were in an area I don't regularly check. There were few other notables (no passage waders), but I came away with the following totals for singing birds: 21 Whitethroats, 17 Sedge Warblers, 10 Willow Warblers, 8 Blackcaps, 5 Lesser Whitethroats, 5 Reed Warblers, and just 2 Chiffchaffs. I also saw my first Small Heath and Small Copper of the year.

Garden Warbler

This afternoon I went butterflying, looking for Grizzled Skippers in the area around Cotham Landfill. I located 6, which was slightly disappointing given the seemingly ideal weather - but it is still early in their flight season. 

Grizzled Skipper
Orange-tip

No comments:

Post a Comment