Saturday 17 May 2014

A red raptor

If I was going to find a raptor with red in it's name today, a Red-footed Falcon would've been nice, with a couple elsewhere. Instead, it was a Red Kite (so still pretty nice), which I clocked off to the north as was driving up Carlton Ferry Lane from Collingham (i.e. off-patch). Fortunately, I was still visible when I got to Ferry Lane Lake, and showed nicely despite being hassled by a crow. Looks to me like a 2nd calender year bird, and was moulting its inner primaries. 


2CY Red Kite
With a pesky crow

Nothing much else at Collingham; the Whooper was still present on Mons Pool, but no migrant waders. So off I went to Girton Pits to do my WeBS count; nothing unusual there either, and I failed to locate any Willow Tits (although midday in mid May is probably not the best time to be looking for them). Actually the most interesting (odd) thing I saw was a Rook's head, with part of a small Grass Snake's body stuck to it. No idea what had gone on there... And there was a huge amount of willow fluff blowing in the wind and drifting in places, I've never seen so much!


Curious...

No comments:

Post a Comment