Saturday 14 September 2013

Waders 'n Gulls

I had two visits to Collingham, either side of my first hockey match of the season (we lost 5-1, but I scored). Totals for the day were 2 Greenshank, 10 Ringed Plover, 3 LRP, 2 Dunlin, 2 Green Sands, 2 Common Sands, and a Redshank (the first of those in ages), as well as the Pintail. There were a few hweeting Chiffies and a single Lesser Whitethroat in the hedges, whilst a Yellow Wag flew over south. I also spent some time looking at juvvie gulls this evening, which included 2 Herrings amongst the LBB's, along with a possible juv Caspo - unfortunately it was pretty dark by the time I got onto this.

I also had a slightly perplexing gull at Collingham yesterday; it was a 2CY, and looked pretty convincing as a Yellow-leg on the deck. It then flew a short distance and showed an odd combination of a white tail base and neat black band, very prominent pale windows on the inner prims (too prominent for a Yellow-leg really), and very pale underwing. Wader-wise, there were 11 Ringed Plover on the Silt Lagoon, plus a Greenshank and 2 Green Sands around the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment