Saturday 4 August 2012

Purple peril

I failed to see anything of note today (although I could've tried harder - I watched a lot of Olympics!). However, things are looking more promising at both Collingham and Mons Pool, with water levels down and more marginal areas available (helped by a couple of pumps at the former site). However, no decent waders today, although a check of the sightings book at Mons Pool revealed that there have been a few Green and Common Sands in the area over the last week, with a Greenshank at Mons Pool on wednesday.

At Langford, I couldn't do better than 4 Snipe in flight over Phase 2, but there were loads of Roesel's Bush-crickets buzzing from the longs grass around the silt lagoons - they were first recorded here in 2007.

I then occupied myself by pulling some Himalayan Balsam from the Fleet where it passes the wood;  Himalayan Balsam is bad news (see here), and is prevalent on several river catchments in the county - especially in the west. It is a problem further downstream on the Fleet in Collingham, but it hadn't been recorded this far up until I spotted ithere  a couple of weeks ago. I pulled some of it then, but knew I'd missed some. Hopefully I've got it all now and it wont become established here...

Himalayan Balsam on the Fleet at Langford

No comments:

Post a Comment