Saturday 11 August 2012

Easy birding

We spent a very relaxing five days in Suffolk this week (including a trip to the Olympics on tuesday). Like last visit, I somehow didn't have much time to do any substantial birding. However, we visited Minsmere with my parents on wednesday, and although we didn't do the scrape or levels (where a Pec Sand turned up on Lucky Pool!), we had a nice walk out to Island Mere, via Bittern Hide; this lived up to its name, with 3 Bittern sightings in the space of 15 minutes! I couldn't rustled up the Ferruginous Duck at Island Mere itself (I know this bird has been 'elusive'), but did have two plant ticks; Red-tipped Cudweed (in a little fenced-off area next to the path), and Round-leaved Wintergreen (next to the ramp up to Island Mere hide) - both usefully signed. Both are scare plants - see Plantlife's website for some info on the cudweed, and BSBI's online distribution maps for both the cudweed and the wintergreen. Several Purple Hairstreaks were also seen near the visitor's centre.

Red-tipped Cudweed at Minsmere
On thursday evening I had a wonder down to my old patch on the Orwell, checking out the saltings at Crane's Hill, at the northern end of Shotley Marshes. It was just after high tide, and there were quite a few nice birds in evidence; 1 Spotted Redshank, 2 Ruff, 3 Greenshank, 2 Common Sands, 4 Whimbrel (one on the deck and three over), an Avocet, several smart Grey Plovers, Turnstones and Black-wits, and 11 Med Gulls, plus 2 Marsh Harriers and a Cetti's Warbler. Nothing spectacular, but if I'd seen all those species on a trip to Collingham or Mons Pool, I would be over the moon! It just makes me realise how lucky (and spoilt) I was growing up and cutting my birding teeth in this area. 


Spotted Redshank and Ruff at Shotley Marshes

Grey Plovers at Shotley Marshes

Whimbrel at Shotley Marshes
Dark Bush-cricket at Shotley Marshes

No comments:

Post a Comment