Sunday 19 August 2012

Peacock paradise

After a bit of DIY at home this morning, I went out and did my WeBS count at Girton Pits this afternoon. Birdwise, it was fairly uneventful; Spalford Pit held the best, with single Common Sand, 2 Little Egrets and a 2nd S Yellow-legged Gull.

Aside from birds, there were at least 40 Peacocks on three small buddlejas on 'the breach', plus 5 elsewhere around the site. I've seen one or two over the last week or so, but it was great to see so many after a complete absence so far this summer. They really are gorgeous insects. A single, very tatty Tortoiseshell was with them - the first I've seen for months, and a dire state of affairs for what's meant to be one of our commonest butterflies. On a more positive note, there were also 2 Common Blues, a Small Copper and a Brown Argus(my first in Notts this year) elsewhere at the site. I also heard Roesel's Bush-crickets stridulating in long grass on the north side of the A1133 Pit, the first for the site as far as I know although I'm sure they've been here a while, undetected.

Peacock at Girton Pits
At Collingham Pits, there were 8 Shoveler and a Wigeon on the Main Pit amongst plenty of other duck including good numbers of Teal (but no Garganey!), and a Common Sand. Ferry Lane Farm Pit was a bit disappointing, with 2 Dunlin, 3+ Common Sands, 4+ Green Sands, 3 LRPs, a Ringed Plover and 4 Little Egrets. The Turnstone appears finally to have departed, although the dewatered terrain in the pit is now such it could have lurking out of sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment