Friday 6 January 2012

White-winger and luck with LEO's

So, time for my first post:

I had a quick trip out at lunchtime to check a couple of sites close to home - my main target was the Glaucous Gull that's been seen at Cotham Landfill and the surrounding area over the last few days. I checked Pykett's Pond and the field next to Cotham Flash without success, and then looked through a large gull roost next to Hawton Road, just south of The Grange. Again, no Glauc, but I then scanned across to Cotham Landfill, where large numbers of gulls were wheeling around, and a number (although distant) were visible stood on a newly seeded area. My luck was in, as the first gull I looked at was a first-winter Glaucous Gull. Nice!


1st winter Glaucous Gull at Cotham Landfill

I then visited a nearby (undisclosed) site, where I met a couple of other birders, who very kindly took me to see two roosting Long-eared Owls, which I wasn't aware of. The LEO's showed extremely well, roosting 10 metres apart in a hedgerow. One was laid out across two branches, whilst the second was sat up in a more normal posture.


Long-eared Owls at undisclosed site

No comments:

Post a Comment