Sunday 22 January 2012

A goose in a gale

Dunham Pools isn't a site I normally visit - a few decent birds do get seen there now and then, but it's not a site I like much, being a bit over-landscaped; short mown grass and trees in neatly fenced plots. However, a Pale-bellied Brent Goose had been reported there yesterday, so I headed up there this morning, having never seen a Brent Goose (of any form) in the county before.

Another birder had just seen the goose fly from the pools over to the opposite side of the Trent when I arrived. The wind was blowing an absolute gale, but I located it after a few minutes with three Canada Geese. It showed well, spending most of its time sat, eating grass within reaching distance, but periodically standing and walking to a new spot. However, it was darker on the flanks and belly than a hrota should be, and was in fact a 1st winter Dark-bellied Brent Goose.



Dark-bellied Brent Goose at Dunham Pools

After a while, it flew a short distance north, but still on the opposite side of the Trent. This meant it was in Lincolnshire the whole time I saw it, so I still haven't got Brent Goose on my Notts list!


No comments:

Post a Comment