Sunday 9 October 2016

Patching either side of Shetland

What with spending two weeks on Unst at the end of September (of which more in another post, when I get round to it), I have been rather neglecting the patch of late - my last September visit was on 15th, and my first October visit was on 6th. The good news is I didn't miss to much in the interim - in fact a Curlew Sand on the Tuesday I was back was the worst miss of the period. 

My last few September visits involved bagging the Temminck's Stint at Mons Pool on the 9th (having dipped it on the 8th), when the Osprey and GWE were still present. The following day produced two Garganey there, with nothing of great note on the 15th.

The 6th of October was a productive visit. A party of Chaffinches in the field west of Ferry Lane Lake held two Brambling, my first of the year, whilst a Rock Pipit in the new workings was also new for the year, putting me on 149 species. The latter was still present on the 8th. A Greenshank was present today (9th), whilst small numbers of Chiffchaff, Goldcrest, Song Thrush and Redwing are around, along with a female Marsh Harrier

Species 150 for the patch in 2016 is now my main focus; Mark Dawson has a Water Rail on Mons Pool tonight, which I couldn't relocate up to dusk... So I know what I'll be looking for next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment