Sunday 14 February 2016

A Great little trip out

I had 50 minutes spare whilst in Wellow this morning, and decided to head into Sherwood for some quick birding. I'd already decided that either Budby Pumping Station Flash or Welbeck Lake would be my destination, but didn't make my mind up on which until I got to the double roundabouts at Budby; Welbeck it was, in the hope of a Mandarin or two.

This proved to be the correct decision. Having pulled up at the lay-by with the feeders, I began scanning, and there by the side of the lake with the Grey Herons was a Great White Egret. Fantastic! No Mandarins though, perhaps not helped by the low water levels. 




A GWE had been seen at Welbeck back on 15th of January, with presumably the same bird on 1st and 2nd in Clumber Park. I think one was seen in South Yorkshire after the Welbeck sighting, and of course one was seen at Kilvington on 4th Feb and then at Langford Lowfields on 4th and 5th Feb. Is this just the one bird touring around?

1 comment:

  1. You can see the size different with the standard egret, that bird isn't far off the herons in size

    ReplyDelete