Saturday 13 September 2014

Out-gulled

With reports of Caspian Gulls from Spalford and Syerston recently, I wanted to get in on the action, so decided to check out Cotham Landfill. This is always a risk on a weekend when the tip isn't working, and of course, having battled down the overgrown path to get to where I view from, there were exactly 2 gulls visible. In fact, there were several hundred large gulls in the field opposite which was being ploughed, but as it's impossible to stop on this road and view them, I cut my losses and headed north...

After a look at Collingham Pits (more of which below) I visited the pig fields at Spalford. Having had a brief reccy here last week, I thought that the best way to see the gulls was to take the footpath across the old airfield where the pigs are. However, my map must be out of date as the path in fact diverted round the northern side - and all the gulls were to the south side. I couldn't work out where to see them from, so after having seen a Raven and Green Sand, I gave up here too; Spalford Pit held 50 Lesser Black-backs, but nothing more interesting.

Pig fields, minus gulls
Raven, being given grief by Jackdaws

At Mons Pool the juvenile islandica Black-wit was still present; I've realised this must be the same bird I keep seeing, possibly present since the 7th now, rather than different birds. The only other waders of note were a single Golden Plover over, calling, and 2 Curlew on the Silt Lagoon. There were more Meadow Pipits around than last visit, with 6 next to the Silt Lagoon and another 10 or so overhead, and Wigeon numbers were also up, with 30 present. I then spent some time working the hedges along Northcroft Lane, but they were quiet - deathly quiet in places - with single Chiffchaff, 2 Lesser Whitethroats, single Blackcap and Goldcrest.

Lots of geese, but no waders here...

Finally I tried Meering, where there was a Greenshank on the Eon Lagoon, plus 2 Yellow Wags and c.8 Meadow Pipits over. Again, the hedges and scrub were pretty quiet, with just 2 Chiffchaffs in evidence. However, I then checked an area at the southern end of The Fleet, where I'd seen Tree Sparrow about 5 years ago. None there today, but there were 2 Spotted Flycatchers - an adult and a juvenile, working up and down the hedge. A very useful Patchwork Challenge addition, and the first I've seen on the patch since 26 August last year. 

The Eon Lagoon with some nice marginal habitat..
Two Spotted Flys

No comments:

Post a Comment