Thursday 25 July 2013

Grip-back

I had a look at Collingham Pits last night, without seeing much, so had another go tonight. I'd literally just arrived when Andrew Hindmarsh pulled up to say he'd met a couple who said they'd seen 3 Whimbrel on the Silt Lagoon - a species I missed in the spring, and needed for my Patchwork Challenge list.

To be honest I was expecting them to be Curlew, and the first bird I looked at was indeed a Curlew, but next to it where 3 Whimbrel - a good grip-back. Hopefully Spotted Redshank and Little Stint to follow soon! They seemed fairly settled, but were calling frequently.

3 Whimbrel

Back to Ferry Lane Lake, and the only wader was a Common Sandpiper - not even any LRPs (11 last night). I do wonder if quarrying (which has recommenced recently) is causing too much disturbance during the day to encourage any passing waders to stick. Non-bird interest was provided by 21 Green-veined Whites and a couple of Large Whites roosting on bramble along the base of a hedge; do they chose to roost together? 

No comments:

Post a Comment