Friday 13 July 2012

Whinchat at the Flash

News came via Birdnet of a Whinchat at Cotham Flash this morning; I'd packed my scope in the car for some birding on the way home after work, so I decided to see if it was still present this evening. It was, and as expected was on the posts along the southern boundary of the Flash (where I had a fine male a couple of springs ago). This bird was a female - has it already given up for the summer, and is heading south?

Whinchat at Cotham Flash
Nearby, on the field pool, there were three LRPs - an adult and a full grown youngster. The male Ringed Plover was also present, and it sounded like the female was calling from within the wheat crop - there were several crows hanging around so maybe she's taken some new chicks in there to hide...? I'll be back to check soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment