Wednesday 25 July 2012

Lots of Yellow-legs

I popped into Kilvington on the way home; the Black-necked Grebe was on the East Lake, at the southern end, allowing me to take another fantastic (ha ha) picture of this species. I'm sure this is the bird that was at Langford on saturday. Also present were several hundred gulls loafing on the on the far side of the West Lake. They were mainly Lesser and Great Black-backs, there were at least 9 Yellow-legged Gulls - 5 adults and 4 3CY birds, plus 2 Common Gulls.

Black-necked Grebe at Kilvington Lakes

At Cotham Flash, no sign whatsoever of the Ringed Plovers on the field pool. I fear they failed again and have abandoned the site. There were, however, 64 Lapwings there, plus at least 4 juv Yellow Wags. As I left, a brief scream made me look up, where there were around 100 Swifts in a fairly tight flock overhead, which then moved south. Not sure what they were doing, as they didn't seem to be feeding.

More Swift action when I got home after hockey training, when I counted 50 in the airspace over my house on William Street in Newark. There is no better noise than the exuberant screaming of Swifts on a fine summer's evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment