Saturday 4 May 2013

Missing migrants

Another early start in Sherwood Forest NNR looking for Redstarts; after nearly 5 hours I had located 12 territories (not 11 as I originally thought - I didn't draw the last one on my map!). These included 3 in the south-western part of the site, which I have not surveyed before. Redstarts are definitely in my top 10, and I was great to be able to spend the time time properly watching these birds. 

Other things of note included a similar selection to last time, minus any Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers. However, I did, rather unusually, come across a Sedge Warbler singing from a dead hedge, as well as my first Garden Warbler of the year. I then treated myself to an All Day Breakfast at the Forest Table to round off a good morning. 

After a bit of a break, I had a good walk around Collingham Pits. Best were 4 Common Terns and 2 Dunlin on Ferry Lane Lake, and c.15 newly excavated Sand Martin nest holes in the new workings at Northcroft Pond, but I was surprised not to see any Swifts, or to get a Garden Warbler; and I'm expecting a Turtle Dove any time now! 

My big conundrum, however, relates to Feral Pigeons, as species which I need for my Patchwork Challenge list. Last week I saw a few flying north, then realised there were lots flying north and that in fact they must be homing pigeons. Today, I picked up one flying south, before again noting several flying north - surely more homing pigeons; but what about the one going south? A Feral Pigeon or a disorientated homing pigeon?!

No comments:

Post a Comment