Sunday 17 February 2019

Getting a goose

Brent Goose is a bird I've dipped twice in Notts (at Dunham and Langford), but it's also one I've been expecting to find locally one day - and that day was yesterday (Saturday). I'd had a nice morning out at Collingham, with the two redhead Smew still on Ferry Lane Lake, along with a Great White Egret which then flew south towards Langford. This bird is missing a primary from the middle of its right wing, and is the same bird that has been frequenting the area of late.  

Running out of time, I had a quick look at Mons Pool. As well as a pair of Red-crested Pochards, there were lots of Greylags present. After a quick scan, I concluded there were no Pinkies (or indeed any other grey geese) lurking amongst them, and started back towards the car. What sounded like a Pinkie calling had me turn round, and note a small, dark goose... scoping it revealed it to be a juvenile Dark-bellied Brent Goose. I'm not sure how I'd missed this initially, but at least I got it in the end... A county tick and my 185th patch species. 

Juv Dark-bellied Brent Goose
Juv Dark-bellied Brent Goose

No comments:

Post a Comment