Friday 7 September 2018

Missing Lincs

Last time I went bird seeking on the Lincs coast was last Autumn. Despite the rather unpromising forecast, I had already decided to take today off work and head over there. Starting out from Sea View Farm at Saltfleet, I birded north, and then back south past Rimac and as far as South Bank Farm. There were lots of House Martins, and lesser numbers of Swallows around, but common migrants were thin on the ground, with a smatter of Chiffchaffs and Goldcrests and small numbers of Willow Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, Whitethroat and Blackcap. More notable were a single Turtle Dove which flew north, and a young Gropper north of Sea View Farm. I almost stood on the latter, and after flushing it out of some long grass it sat up in some sea buckthorn, allowing me to confirm that it was indeed a Gropper, and not anything more notable... A party of 7 Whinchats were the only other birds of note. 




Giving up after 5 hours in the field, I started home, taking a short detour via Manby Flash near Louth - somewhere I've never been before. A Pec Sand had been found shortly before, and this was showing well on the exposed mud with 11 Ruff and a young Black-wit



No comments:

Post a Comment