Monday 17 April 2017

Patch birding to mid April

From the 1st of April I managed 11 consecutive patch visits. The best bird I found during this period was the already blogged about Cattle Egret, but it was good to monitor the increase of migrants during this period. However, the only migrant addition between the 4th and the 10th was Lesser Whitethroat on the 9th (when 33 Fieldfare were also lingering). 

The 10th saw the first big gathering of Sand Martins, with 100 over Ferry Lane Lake, increasing to 150 on the 13th when I had my first Whitethroat of the year. The first Yellow Wagtail of the year flew over on the 14th, with it (or another) on Mons Pool later in the day, and four Sedge Warblers on the same date were also new for the year. My first patch House Martins of the year were present today. 

The only other birds of note have been a Black-wit, which turned up on the 13th and was still present today, and a male Pintail

No comments:

Post a Comment