Sunday 20 November 2016

Wild Swans

There wasn't much of note around Collingham Pits yesterday - 3 Goosander flew over heading south, whilst a couple of Water Rail were being noisy in the Silt Lagoon reedbed. On Ferry Lane Lake, the juv Pink-foot was still in with the Greylags, whilst a single adult YLG was in the gull roost. 

Another quick look at Ferry Lane Lake this morning didn't reveal anything new, so I decided to check out Meering and the fields to the North - if I'm going to get Merlin for the patch yearlist, it'll be here. No luck today, but a scan of the swan herd revealed 2 Bewick's in with the Mutes, along with 4 adult Whoopers. I also recorded 2 Bewick's here during the first winter period of 2015, having never recorded them around here before, so not a species I was expecting to get in 2016. For Patchwork Challenge, this puts me on 153 species for 193 points. In addition, about 210 Pinkies flew over East. 

Bewick's Swan
All three Swan species

1 comment: