Tuesday 24 May 2016

I spy an Ibis

I missed a call from Mike Warren last night whilst I was out on my bike; he'd had a Glossy Ibis at Langford Lowfields, which had then flown north towards Collingham. By the time I was back from my ride it was too late to do much about. What was almost certainly the same bird had also flown through Attenborough in the morning. 

So I got up early this morning to check the patch before work. After checking the wet areas around Ferry Lane Lake I headed to Mons Pool. A quick scan, and no sign. A bit deflated, I was about to head back to the car when the Glossy Ibis took up from the western side of Mons Pool, where it had been out of sight. Success, at 0650.



The bird flew north, and then dropped into Meering Marsh. I drove round hoping to get a view of the bird on the deck, and some photos, but no sooner had I parked than the bird took up again - I hadn't even got to view the wetland. This time it flew high, first heading west, and doing a loop before reorientating to the north, and then east, whereupon it appeared to drop into the Sailing Lake at Girton Pits at 0720. However, it can't have stayed there long as it was seen at Lound at 0900.




This is my second Glossy Ibis in three years on the patch, and a useful 4 pointer for Patchwork Challenge. Just a shame I don't get any bonus points for finding it..!

No comments:

Post a Comment