Sunday 17 January 2016

A nice end to the day

Rather embarrassingly, I haven't seen a Serin in Britain; and despite several hours at Fen Drayton today, I still haven't seen a Serin in Britain... Basically, I spent three and a half hours on site, arriving 20 minutes after one sighting, and leaving an hour before the next. Hmmm. 

I spent the last half hour of daylight at Girton. Mark Dawson had found a Great Northern Diver here earlier, which I relocated on the sailing lake. However, there was no sign of any non-Greylag Geese; the 7 Eurasian White-fronts had been here earlier, and 3 Tundra Beans had also been reported. Confusingly, 3 White-fronts had also been reported from Smithy Marsh - and no Pink-feet. 

A great Starling murmuration rounded things off, maybe 10,000 birds or more strong, wheeling and morphing, and reminding me what it's all really about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment