Thursday 7 May 2015

Redstarts

Today was the first of my annual visits to Sherwood NNR to survey Redstarts - a highlight of my birding year, although perhaps a little late this time round... It was a fine morning, and in the end I logged at least 11 apparently occupied territories. Five Tree Pipits was a rather low total, but I was pleased with three Spotted Flycatchers. Other highlights included 2 Cuckoos and a pair of Mandarins. Several Siskin buzzed overhead, but no Crossbills. 

After work, a quick look at Mons Pool failed to deliver anything of note, so I bombed down to Kilvington in search of a Sanderling seen there this morning. After a long search, I decided that it had gone; single Greenshank and Dunlin were, however, present, along with 22 Yellow Wagtails (all flavissima...), at least 150 Swallows, and at least 80 Swifts that dropped in after a shower passed through. Three young Oystercatchers were also nice to see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment