Saturday 17 January 2015

Grounded geese

At Cotham Landfll this morning, no white-wingers, or Caspo's. There were however at least 2 1st W YL Gulls and 3 LBBGs (2 ads and a 1st W), and a Grey Wag provided some passerine interest. After two and a half hours my feet had turned into ice blocks, so despite the fact that the gulls were actually co-operating for once (with lots sat up round the sides of the void) and the light was mainly good, I had to abort before my toes fell off. Apparently there were 2 Med Gulls into the roost at Hov tonight so at least I didn't overlook anything too major...

Loadsa gulls
But not so good when the sun's out!

This arvo, and it was time to hit the patch. Collingham Pits held 4 Goosander (one drake) and 3 Shelduck, plus 1 Peregrine, 2 Egyptian Geese, 2 Curlew, 1 Green Sand, 1 Redshank, 1 Grey Wag, 2 Stonechats and 3 Tree Sparrows

Onto Meering, and the 2 adult Whoopers were still next to Trent Lane, whilst on the reserve itself I kicked a Woodcock out of Meering Wood. Looking north, and there were around 155 grounded Pink-feet on Smithy Marsh; they were a bit distant and the light was going, but I couldn't see anything else in with them; this is only the second big grounded group of Pinkies I've ever seen in Notts. I rounded the day off with 3 Water Rails squealing from the reedbed at the southern end of The Fleet.

So, 7 ticks for my PWC list today; Shelduck, Stonechat, Sparrowhawk, Treecrepper, Woodcock, Pink-footed Goose and Water Rail, taking me to 77 species. And 3 for my Notts yearlist too; YL Gull, Woodcock and Pink-foot, putting me on 103.

No comments:

Post a Comment