Sunday 9 March 2014

Birds, butterflies and bees

Wow, what a day today - gorgeous weather, and plenty of signs of spring; I had a total of 8 Brimstones and 6 Small Tortoiseshells during the day, and plenty of bumblebees. The birding was good too; I began in the Dukeries with a displaying Goshawk and singing Woodlark and Siskin. I was then going to try for the putative blythi Lesser Whitethroat at Hallcroft, but decided I couldn't neglect my patch on a day like today. 

This proved to be the right decision. Ferry Lane Lake hosted 20 Whooper Swans and 3 Goosander, there were 3 Oystercatchers on the Silt Lagoon, and Mons Pool held 5 Redshank and 8 Little Egrets. Best though were 2 flyover Avocets; I had been dozing in the sun at the viewing screen at Mons (listening for singing Chiffchaffs... there were none), and happened to stir myself just as they flew in, silently, from the south - they then doubled back and I lost them from view. A quick sweep of the site suggested they hadn't landed anywhere on site, so maybe they'd gone to Langford. 

I also enjoyed watching some agro between one of the Little Owls and a Stoat which was investigating it's willow tree. The little owl wasn't impressed, but was clearly weary of the little mustelid, raising it's wings but keeping its distance!

Back to yesterday, a quick walk round Meering finally yielded my first Lesser Redpoll of the year on the patch; I'm still waiting for Siskin and Brambling...

No comments:

Post a Comment