Friday 21 February 2014

Return to the promised landfill

We spent the last six days in Scotland (write up to follow), so today was my first opportunity to do some local birding for a while. Collingham Pits held a pair of Goosander and 3 Pintail (Ferry Lane Lake), 19 Redshank (Silt Lagoon), and 11 Shelduck (Silt Lagoon/Mons Pool). I counted the Wigeon on Ferry Lane Lake and got to 500 before they were flushed by another birder; I reckon there were another 150 to go. 

After lunch I hit Cotham Landfill for the first time in ages; unfortunately this didn't live up to expectations, as I only got about 20 minutes of the gulls on the landfill before they all took to the air, and then circled for the next 40 minutes. Having been in this situation before, I cut my losses and went to look for Short-eared Owls on Hawton Works Grassland. Again I came away empty handed; I think any owls present were hunkering down out of the wind as they certainly weren't flying around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment