Sunday 19 January 2014

January WeBS

One of my New Year's resolutions is to do my WeBS counts on the correct date, rather than a week later as is often the case... and I've stuck to it for the first month, visiting Girton Pits this morning. I failed to find anything unusual, and overall wildfowl numbers were quite low - not helped by flooding on the Fleet off to the south of the site, where many birds had clearly decamped to. Headline totals were 204 Mallard, 124 Tufties, 70 Wigeon, 34 Goldeneye, 32 Coot, 26 Teal and 21 Pochard. There were also 3 pairs of Shelduck on Spalford Pit. 

Inspired by a Jay I'd seen at Girton, I had a quick stop on the way back home at Besthorpe Warren, and duly had a Jay as soon as I got out of the car - number 79 for the Patchwork Challenge list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment