Saturday 25 May 2013

No Tawnies

It felt like November on friday, and I failed to motivate myself for a patch visit. I did manage a quick look on thursday before a Besthorpe NR Management Committee meeting (my first). There was a single, silvery-grey Sanderling on Ferry Lane Lake, but not a single Common Terns - their favoured shingle bar is now linked to the shore, so presumably they no longer felt it was a safe nesting location... shame. There'd evidently been a bit of an influx of Gadwall, with 41 across the site, and still one drake Shoveler; I do wonder if there's a female on a nest somewhere. 

After the Management Committee meeting I went and stood on Trent Lane, and then Mons Pool carpark, for the best part of 40 minutes listening for Tawny Owls - I know for a fact that one is nesting on Mons Pool island, but have yet to record this species for my patch yearlist. And I still need one for my patch yearlist, as all I heard was some unearthly noises eminating from the heronry, and some rustling in the hedge which proved to be a badger, which scuttled up the track when it became aware of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment