Saturday 6 April 2013

Spring has sprung!

Wow. After a bit of a chilly start, it actually felt like spring today, with no wind an temperatures into (low) double-figures! 

Things began at Collingham, with 2 Ringed Plovers, a Redshank and a Green Sandpiper on Northcroft Pond; nearby, Mons Pool held 3 LRPs, a Redshank and a Little Egret. I found out later that Robin Brace had a White Wagtail here too. But no Chiffchaffs or Sand Martins... I rounded things off with a quick and uneventful visit to Girton - hopefully I'll give this site more of a grilling tomorrow.

I then dragged Amy up to Idle Valley NR (with the promise of lunch out) to see the female Long-tailed Duck which has been camped out on Neatholme Pit since mid January; I've been meaning to make the effort to see this bird for ages, as it's a Notts tick for me! Temperatures were positively warm by now, and the general springlike feel in the air was topped off by at least 3 singing Chiffchaffs along Neatholme Lane - my first of the year, at last.



Female Long-tailed Duck at IVNR

After lunch, a walk round Eaton Wood, and part of Gamston Wood, yielded two singing Marsh Tits (one in each wood) got me off the mark with the Notts Birders survey

No comments:

Post a Comment