Saturday 9 February 2013

More Glauc'ing

I met Carl whilst having a quick look at Cotham Landfill before hockey this morning. There were plenty of gulls around, and we soon located a juvenile Glaucous Gull; first fairly distant, but then on a bank much closer. Having scrutinised this bird in the field and in the pictures below, I'm beginning to think I may've been overly optimistic in thinking there were two juv Glaucs present yesterday; the head pattern seems to change depending on the angle of head/light, at times looking quite 'browey', i.e. Glauc 2 from yesterday, and at others looking more like Glauc 1 - although the 'saddle' across the forehead I could see in the field and on the photos of Glauc 1 yesterday wasn't in evidence. The body of today's Glauc certainly looks like that of Glauc 2, but Glauc 1 yesterday did look like a big bird... I think I need to see two together!




Juv Glaucous Gull at Cotham Landfill
I also had another brief sighting of yesterday's hybrid gull, but couldn't pick it up again. Still no Iceland Gull! But an adult at Rutland Water today may be the bird that's been at Hoveringham recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment