Wednesday 5 December 2012

Hawfinch at Rufford

With some time to kill before a meeting today at Rufford Abbey Country Park, I wondered down from the Mill end through the Wilderness, seeing a few bits and pieces,including Marsh Tit, Nuthatch and Treecreeper. Upon reaching the lime tree avenue next to the main car park, the first bird I looked at was... a Hawfinch! There was possibly also a second bird present. Very nice, and the first I'm aware of that has been seen at the site this winter. 

Unfortunately I didn't have time to look for Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, but my walk back to the Mill produced a Kingfisher on the lake, plus 8 Goosander (with 14 when I had another look later on), with several Siskin and Lesser Redpolls buzzing around in the alders. I'm always impressed with what a productive site this is in the winter, even if you only have a short time to spend there.

No comments:

Post a Comment