Friday 16 November 2012

Missed by minutes

With the afternoon off work (yay for flexitime), I spent 45 minutes driving round Newark (including parts I'd never seen before) looking at berry-bearing trees - but no Waxwings; however, I've got some promising-looking spots lined up for future checks!

After this, I did Collingham and Mons Pool. The Main Pit at Collingham was laden with Teal (just over 400), plus the drake Pintail, as well as a Dunlin, 2 Green Sands, 7 Redshank, and a fly-through Little Egret. There were at least 500 Fieldfares along Carlton Ferry Lane gorging themselves on berries and mixed in with Starlings in the stubble. Mons Pool produced a Redshank, 3 Curlew, 7 Siskin, and a nice male Brambling (the pic below doesn't quite do him justice).

Male Brambling at Mons Pool
I left Collingham as the light was failing, just after 4pm - there seemed little prospect of seeing much else. However, a check of twitter when I got home revealed that a Great White Egret flew north over Langford Lowfields at 4.30pm, and no doubt would've continued over (or stopped at?) Collingham and Mons Pool - damn it! Might be worth a check first thing tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment