Friday 26 October 2012

Back to winter birding

Cold hands, being buffeted by the wind, peering at distant gulls... It must be winter! I popped out when I got home with the intention of going to Kilvington, but got waylaid as I passed Cotham Landfill as there was a group of gulls in one of the fields that could actually be scoped from the road. I had a good scan through, mindful of recent reports of putative American Herring Gull at Gainsborough Landfill (see here) and Azorean Yellow-legged Gull at Hoveringham in the gull roost. There were a couple of well marked argentatus amongst the Herring Gulls, but nothing to get too excited about, and as it was quite late in the day, the flock thinned out quite rapidly as they headed off to roost.

By the time I'd finished with the gulls, there wasn't enough daylight to make it to Kilvington, so I went to Cotham Flash instead. There was nothing on the flash at all, and there were no owls in evidence over Hawton Works Grassland. However, there were several large flocks of Starlings around (has there been an influx? There seem to have been lots around in the last week), and I had my first Fieldfares of the autumn - a party of 20 or so with a few Redwing.

No comments:

Post a Comment