Friday 18 May 2012

Redstart ramble number 2

I resisted the temption check out the wader situation at Mons Pool first thing, and instead stuck to the original plan and did another survey of Sherwood/Birklands for Redstarts. Although a bit overcast, I logged Redstarts in at least 7 locations, including a pair visiting a nest site. Taking the two surveys together, I reckon I've recorded at least 8 and up to 11 pairs/territories. I'll have to compare notes with Carl to see if he found any additional birds. In my five hour walk I also logged at least 10 singing Tree Pipits, had Spotted Flys in five locations, and again had several parties of Crossbills overhead, all heading north. A fun morning.

After lunch I then headed for Mons Pool, full of expectation. However, it was a bit of an anticlimax, as many of the waders that were present yesterday had gone, and there was nothing new in. Even the remaining 6 Ringed Plover and 1 Dunlin all got up and flew east at 1315, leaving the site almost empty! Oh well, next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment