Saturday 31 October 2015

Egrets, I've had a few.

Earlier in the week (Wednesday I think) I paid two visits to fields next to the A46, just north of Bingham, in search of a Cattle Egret that had been reported there. Unfortunately, this bird wasn't seen after the initial report; I managed a visit over lunch before a site meeting, and another on the way home; during the latter, an egret stalking around in a grass field had me going for a split-second as I drove past, but it was a Little; I see one in this area most days from the bus, fishing in the nearby balancing pond. A shame this bird didn't stick, as I didn't see the 2008 bird, so this would've been a county tick. 

Today, the only birding I could manage (due to hockey) was a look at the gull roost at Collingham this evening, where I met Rich Challands and his mate - Rich was after a Yellow-legegd Gull for his Notts yearlist. We duly located a nice adult, with a second, less straight-forward gull then appearing. I'm fairly sure this was a 4th winter Caspian Gull, but couldn't quite nail it in the field - I was unprepared for a quick wing-flap and missed the wing pattern, which I would like to have seen. I'll have another look tomorrow night. A second YLG appeared just as it got too dark to do much else with the gulls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment